Monday 26 August 2013

July & August favourites

One thing I really enjoy reading about are people's "monthly favourites". I've seen lots of things in them that have inspired me to buy something or to try out something new. It also seems like quite a fun thing to write about so I thought I'd give it a go. I did originally plan on making this a July favourites post but I may have been a little lazy and suddenly we're almost at the end of August! So I've incorporated a few things I've been liking over the past two months into one post:

Big Brother *hangs head in shame* Yes, I know this is terrible but I love a good dose of trashy TV, and this year BB has been pretty addictive! It's kind of strange that its on every night for however many weeks because when it finishes, it feels like something's missing! (I promise I do have a life really.) And yes, I am watching Celebrity Big Brother now too...

Barry M gelly hi-shine nail paint - I am loving these at the moment. I've built up a little collection and currently have 6 of them and wear them quite a lot. I have to say, my first thought when I saw these was "surely all nail varnish is high shine?", but I picked some up anyway to fuel my slight nail varnish obsession and I LOVE them. They do have a really nice glossy, shiny effect. If I add a topcoat of Seche Vitte it lasts for days and days. My favourite colour has to be Blueberry.


From left to right: Guava, Greenberry, Blueberry, Mango, Papaya, Grapefruit

Long Lost Family - For those who don't know, this is a TV programme on ITV about people wanting to reconnect with family members lost. It's usually about people who have been adopted, or mothers who had to give their child up in difficult circumstances, but it can sometimes be about a lot of other complicated stories. This show is absolutely HEARTBREAKING, and I have to fight back the tears every week. Adoption is often thought of as a horrible, selfish thing but this show really opens your eyes. Some women literally had NO choice. The series has finished now but it might still be available on catch up if this sounds like your cup of tea. Even thought the stories are so sad, the endings are usually very happy as the families are reunited and then you start crying happy tears, haha! It also really made me appreciate the fact that I have my family - you can sometimes take that for granted but this show's a real eye opener.

Avocado - This is a bit of a weird one but I freaking LOVE avocados at the moment. Avocadoes in salads, avocadoes in guacamole, avocadoes with chicken... Just a lotta lotta avocado. I actually am a bit of a Mexican food fiend, so I think this is maybe why I love it so much. Especially in a good guacamole, really chunky and homemade, mm! Plus, it's an excellent source of "good" fats, don't you know?

Feel Good non alcoholic mojito - Oh my. These are good. I happened to see these down the alcohol aisle in the supermarket and picked up a little can. Just lately, I haven't been in the mood for alcohol but I quite like a good mocktail (woo!), and this sounded just the ticket. It's really yummy and refreshing, plus one of your five a day! You can always add alcohol if you want to partay. I got mine from Tesco but I think most supermarkets sell them.

YSL Rouge Volupte Shine lipstick - I have wanted one of these little beauties for so long, and I finally got one! I planned to treat myself after pay day but my boyfriend sneakily bought it for me (aww!). I love love love the packaging of these - I wouldn't usually be swayed to buy an expensive item just because of the packaging but these are an exception. Not only that, but I'd heard good things about them so wanted to give them a go. I wanted quite a neutral colour that I could use for everyday, rather than a bold shade. I went for the shade 15 which is a really nice subtle pink/peach colour. I'd describe it as a "my lips but better" sort of thing which is just what I wanted. It feels so luxurious and lovely to apply and the colour seems to stay put so I think it's a winner so far! They're rather pricey at around £24 a pop but for a little bit of luxury I'd say it's definitely worth it. I have my eye on another shade already! Bad blogger alert - I forgot to photograph it before I used it, oops! 




We Can't Stop/Miley Cyrus - I know Miley Cyrus is a bit like Marmite, but I am was a big Hannah Montana fan so I've always been a little pro-Miley. However, when she cut all her hair and started to parade around in very little clothing I sort of lost a bit of respect for her. Saying that though, I LOVE her new song. I heard it a while ago and it didn't really do anything for me, but a few weeks later and it's really grown on me. I still think the video is just plain weird, and I wish she didn't feel the need to sex up her image all the time (bad role model, tut tut), but I have to admit the song is so catchy! La da di da di, we like to party.

Starbucks Iced Caramel Macchiato - Yum, yum, yum. Need I say more?

What are some of the things you've been loving lately? 


No comments:

Post a Comment